Monday, September 17, 2007

Problem Sets, Assignments, Exercises...

No matter what you call it, it's just homework. It feels vaguely familiar and foreign at the same time. Sort of like finding an old pair of shoes in your closet that you didn't remember, then putting them on your feet and finding they still go on the feet, but they aren't quite comfortable. Were these really my shoes?

It's not that I don't like doing the work...it's just that I'm a bit slower at it than I used to be. Rather than breezing through the texts with laser focus, I find myself reading all the footnotes, looking up terminology, and exploring random sidebars (i.e., Dewey's education theories or Piaget's notion of assimilation), even if it's only minor background for the main ideas of the reading. And then, of course, pausing to blog about it instead of working on my assignment.

I wonder if the professional students have these problems.

No comments: