Friday, May 23, 2008

Fei-su desu


Years ago when I was living in Japan, I spent a great deal of time hanging out with my friend Faithe (Fei-su in Japanese) MacElliott's. Her apartment was just downstairs from mine. Our apatos had no insulation and were sorely lacking in heat and privacy. Faithe had a nice,warm kotatsu and always had a pot of green tea at the ready. She was witty, always game for anything interesting, and could be counted on stir things up a bit. We had many interesting adventures...I'll leave it at that.

The last time I saw her was when I visited her in Boston more than a decade ago. Yesterday we finally had a chance to to catch up in person at her and her husband Dennis' house in New Hampshire. It was surprising to me how all the time and distance that had separated us so easily melted away. I know that you always hear that friendships are like that, but I've experienced a few reunions that felt more like work. Anyway, thanks Faithe (and Dennis) it was great to see you!

No comments: